Translate

Lifestyle sign up

Join our newsletter

Receive 100 FREE Lifestyle Blog post ideas

    Wednesday, January 13, 2021

    Why I love the French language

    Disney's Madeline with her dog Genevieve was one of my favorite cartoons growing up. I used to watch hours of Madeline going on adventures and coming home to the twelve girls and her guardian at the manor covered in vines. She was smart, witty and resourceful. 

    Then i grew up and went to school and learned Spanish. I still really liked French and took a course in high school. I studied for hours online using grammar notes and Duolingo. Pimsleure became my best friend and Assimil from Spanish to French led me on my way to fluency. I put in a lot of time and effort into learning this language of love and i there are just a few reasons as to why I like it so much-- so well because growing up I really liked listening to it, it's a beautiful language widely spoken and I love the culture. 

    As previously mentioned, growing up I really enjoyed the language. I would watch Disney's Madeline. Then i found resources to help me learn the language. I put in a lot of effort to learning and realized that with hard work I did achieve results. Now I can speak at a B2 level and I want to get to native like fluency. I definitely have so much more to learn because there are still words I don't know in French. 

    As I practice more and more, I get used to the sounds of this widely spoken language. The accents differ across regions and I've learned that France extends so much farther than the mainland in Europe. 

    According to uk.france.fr, "Often named by the acronym DROM-COM, the ‘Overseas Departments and Regions – Overseas Collectivities’ refer collectively to all land under French sovereignty outside mainland France:

    The French Overseas Territories cover almost 120 000 km² and are home to more than 2.6 million people."

    French is also the official language of countries

     in Belgium, Benin, Burkina, Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Central, African, Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte, d'Ivoire, Democratic, Republic, of, the, Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial, Guinea, France, Guinea, Haiti, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mali, Monaco, Niger, Republic, of, the, Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Switzerland, Togo, and Vanuatu.

    With so many places and people speaking French, it gives me even more reason to learn the language. I've had the pleasure of speaking with a few people from a few of these places and we've had language exchanges online. It was fun getting to know them and learning about their cultures along with the language. 

    Speaking of culture, with all the different French speaking cultures in the world I still like France. I've learned a few idioms, gestures, and about the dress and cuisine. I'd love to go someday and visit to see France for myself. It's a beautiful place filled with lots of art and design. It's definitely one of my favorite places in the world to be. 

    So my journey with French has come a long way as I grew up listening to it every now and then. I've realized it's a widely spoken language so that would open many doors for me as I excel in knowledge of this beautiful language and my love for this iconic culture swells as i admire the art that frames it's scene.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Sign up now

    Join the newsletter

    Subscribe below and get freebies to your inbox.

      We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.

      How to start a blog

      So you want to start a blog. This page will help you get started with your blog. There are a few things you can do to help you do ...