Translate

Lifestyle sign up

Join our newsletter

Receive 100 FREE Lifestyle Blog post ideas

    Friday, January 15, 2021

    Why I love Colombia


    Colombia is a country in south america bordered by Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela and Brazil. My mother's side of the family comes from Cartagena if I'm not mistaken. I never really tapped into my maternal culture until i was in college because I was raised by my Puerto Rican father. I've met a few colombians in my life and they were really nice people. So i read up on this culturally rich country and began to love it all the more. I especially like the delicious food, the beautiful people and the festive music.

    Growing up, i recall sitting in my grandmother's dining room surrounded by aunts, uncles and cousins gathered together for grand ma's famous arroz de coco con pescado (coconut rice with fish). I was still little, and i recall my parents warning me before digging into the flakey fish that it had bones in it. I could never forget the savory coconut rice and helping grand ma wash dishes after everyone finished feasting. 

    Some other really famous dishes in Colombia are Ajaico and a giant plate of bandeja paisa. The bandeja paisa comes with a lot of food like Rice, beans and meat. It reminds me of a similar dish in Puerto Rico called Mixta, which is really tasty. You would probably need someone to share your bandeja paisa with because the proportions are so big!


    I also really like the music. Colombia is famous for Cumbia and Salsa. It also has a lot of really cool pop artists too. One of my favorites is Camilo. He's really a character because he has a true gentleman's beard and has his own style. His songs are really sweet and catchy and make me fantasize about the type of relationship that i want.

    Colombia also really has beautiful people. These people are friendly and festive. All the colombians I've ever met were really warm and willing to help if you ever had a question. They are also generally happy people as they celebrate everything. 

    This video from youtube probably explains it best: 
    https://youtu.be/JDSrJj7-b2o

    Even though I wasn't raised in a Colombian home, i feel so much closer to my mother's side if the family by reading up on my roots. I'd love to visit some day and get to know Colombia personally. 

    What do you think? Where are you from? What are some cultural staples from your country that make your country unique? 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Sign up now

    Join the newsletter

    Subscribe below and get freebies to your inbox.

      We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.

      How to start a blog

      So you want to start a blog. This page will help you get started with your blog. There are a few things you can do to help you do ...