Translate

Lifestyle sign up

Join our newsletter

Receive 100 FREE Lifestyle Blog post ideas

    Thursday, January 30, 2020

    Why I enjoy and dislike journalism writing

    Journalism is so strict but in a good way. Journalism gives writers the structure they need to write in uniformity with other writers. I can understand how uniformity helps journalists create an effective copy but whoever really checks their AP style all day every day? 

    However, I can't tell you how much journalism writing and editing gave me the discipline to wring out the adjective vomit from my over-wordy writing style. I am thankful for it because now that I am finishing up my BA program I feel like I can fully understand creative writing and how other authors use their adjectives and adverbs to sprinkle flavor into their prompts without creating a tomato word sauce that no one will later understand.

    Therefore, I figured that if I went into a newsroom and wrote something for work I could go back later on my time and write fiction. My mind could not disagree more. As I was filling out my resume and thinking about actually writing journalism, my mind froze up and got that same sharp shooting pain. What do you think? Do I need a doctor?

    I never feel this way, only when I read for long periods of time. This never happens when I write. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Sign up now

    Join the newsletter

    Subscribe below and get freebies to your inbox.

      We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.

      How to start a blog

      So you want to start a blog. This page will help you get started with your blog. There are a few things you can do to help you do ...